COLEMAN COUNTY, TEXAS CEMETERY DIRECTORY
For More Information about the recording of this cemetery,
Go To The Explanation and Abbreviations Page for Coleman County, Texas Cemeteries
       The records shown here were originally published in the a 3 volume set, Coleman County Cemeteries Inscriptions, and were copied and compiled by Vena Bob Gates, Judia Terry and Ralph Terry, and were published in 1988 by Terry Studio, P. O. Box 958, Coleman, Texas 76834, and was copyrighted 1988 by Ralph Terry.  All rights are reserved, including any reproduction for profit.  Copies of the published works, Coleman County Cemeteries Inscriptions (published in 1988) can be purchased from Ralph Terry at the above address.



(NOTE:  Beginning March 2011, I have ceased to update the Coleman County Cemeteries on this website,
and with the help of many others, I am using FindAGrave.com to keep our cemeteries updated.

Click here to go to Coleman Cemetery on FindAGrave.


COLEMAN CEMETERY, COLEMAN COUNTY, TEXAS

The inscriptions for the Coleman Cemetery were originally recorded and up to date as of April 5, 1988.


HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION OF THE COLEMAN CEMETERY

       The Coleman Cemetery began with the establishment of the city of Coleman in 1876 or soon after this date.  From old histories, we have learned that the first man to be buried in Coleman was gored by a bull on Home Creek; his name was Shannon.  He was cremated 15 years later by J. L. Spicer, and his ashes took north by his father in a silver urn to be placed in a vault by his mother.  The second man was killed by a drunken man on the street between what is now Bowens Drug and the Carousel.  J. L. Spicer buried all the people here for 15 years.  It is not known if the early burial ground was where it is today, but it is felt that it was.  There was no purchase of land for a cemetery until 1877 or 1878, when J. F. Gordon headed a committee to arrange for a cemetery.  The committee purchased thirty acres at 25 cents per acre, located about a mile south of the courthouse.  In 1880, the cemetery was divided into IOOF, Mason, Citizens, and Negro sections.  It was not known if there was any sort of a cemetery association at that time or if everyone took care of their own plots.

       By 1921, the cemetery was in need of additional room.  In October of 1921, 2500 square feet were donated for use by veterans of World War I (see Map Page 14 for additional history).  The need for care was also realized, as the Coleman Cemetery Association was chartered in December of 1921 for "the maintenance of a public cemetery," which was to exist for 50 years.  In December of 1923, an additional 8 1/4 acres was purchased for cemetery use.  By 1938, however, the City of Coleman had grown to a population of over 5000, which brought it under a Texas state constitutional provision that the city would have to maintain a cemetery for its citizens.  In 1939, a Cemetery Committee representing the citizens, Odd Fellows, Masons, and American Legion deeded the entire cemetery to the city, with the reservation that the fraternal areas be restricted to its members.  In 1945 the area known as the "East Extension" consisting of about 10 acres was added (see map pages 12 and 13 for additional history).  For those of you who do not remember, the Comanche Road at that time ran east from Guadalupe Street (which was the Shields Road), beginning where Hollywood Drive is today, turning southeast at the southeast corner of the original cemetery (now known as the southeast corner of map page 9); so in 1945 this road was the south boundary of the cemetery.  Since that time, the Comanche road has been rerouted and additional land has been purchased, not all of which has been developed.  There are now 72 acres, which are fenced, and additional land outside of this fenced area.

       As of 1988, the cemetery contained at least 8000 marked graves and hundreds, possibly thousands, more that are unmarked, with many others being added since that time.  The oldest graves marked with inscribed stones have the date of 1878 and 1879.  There are six stones with these years inscribed.  Three are located in the center of Map Page 3 and the other three are found in Map Page 9, all along the south side, each in different sections.  Some of the most beautiful stones are those belonging to Woodmen of the World, one of the best examples is that of W. P. Rascoe, found in Map Page 10, which has extraordinary carved detail.

       Many of the older sections were not well laid out, thus causing problems in keeping the lots and rows in logical order in recording these graves.  We have attempted to set out single rows or rows of lots, whichever applies in each case, for aid in locating graves and keeping graves of the same family together.  Where there is a row number, it has been added by the compilers of this book and is not used by the City of Coleman on their map, which was drawn up by Pam Wood, a Coleman High School student, during two summers in the late 1960's for the City of Coleman.  There are errors in this map as to proportion and lot designation.  (The map used in the published book and below was drawn by Judia Terry, using an aerial photograph as a guide.)  This map is broken down into 19 large, detailed pages, making up the various parts of the cemetery, hence the term "Map Page."  This map uses Map Page numbers, sections, and lot numbers, to which we have adhered in the published book and in this internet presentation.  The beginning place of each Map Page and Section will be noted.  In some Map Pages, it was advantageous to come back to the starting road for each new section, and on other map pages, it worked out better to make a U-turn at the end of the first half of a section and work in the opposite direction for the second half.  The method used will also be explained at the beginning of each map page or section to which it applies.

       For many years, Paul Hubbard was caretaker of the Coleman Cemetery.  Most of his records were kept in his head.  Paul retired in May of 1984 and suffered a fatal heart attack in 1987.  The cemetery had several caretakers until February of 1985 when Brad Staggs assumed the job.  Brad has done an outstanding job in getting the cemetery and its records in good shape.  We want to thank him in assisting us in keeping recent burials recorded.  Since 1988, others have worked to keep the cemetery organized.

       To get to the cemetery from any street in Coleman running north and south, go to  Ninth Street and turn east.  This street will dead end into the cemetery.
 
 

Map Page 1
Map Page 2
Map Page 3
Map Page 4
Map Page 5
Map Page 6
Map Page 7
Map Page 8
Map Page 9
Map Page 10
Map Page 11
Map Page 12
Map Page 13
Map Page 14
Map Page 15
Map Page 15A
Map Page 16
Map Page 17
Map Page 18
Additional Burials

 
Coleman Cemetery Map in 1988

Original map drawn by Judia Terry, using an aerial photograph as a guide


NOTICE: In keeping with my policy of providing free information on the Internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or for presentation by other persons or organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than stated above must obtain the written consent of Ralph Terry, P. O. Box 958, Coleman, Texas 76834.
 
 

GO TO THE COLEMAN COUNTY, TEXAS CEMETERY DIRECTORY
 

      copyrighted 1988 -2003 by Ralph Terry                                Page Last Updated January 15, 2003