Brown Ranch Methodist Church
Fisk, Texas

by Lena Adian

from A History of Coleman County and Its People, 1985 
edited by Judia and Ralph Terry, and Vena Bob Gates - used by permission

The exact date the Brown Ranch Methodist Church was organized is unknown. It is believed to have been the summer of 1905, under a brush arbor on the W. I. Roper place. It is said a meeting was held and that there was also a large oak tree, though most people can hardly imagine an oak tree at Fisk. Both the Baptist and Methodist churches were organized from the meeting.

The land for the church was deeded by Mr. A. J. McDonald on October 19, 1906. Several men gave donations of cash and men in the community built the church. The exact date when the church disbanded is not known, but believed to be about 1930. The church building was given to Brown Ranch school and was used as an auditorium as long as there was a school at Brown Ranch. It was used for school and community plays and was also understood to be a good place to skate. Ladies in the community used it to can food for Brown Ranch school in the late thirties and early forties. It was also a roomy place to make mattresses under a government program which made use of the cotton.

The Church of Christ used the building the first year they had a church organized, as did the Primitive Baptist Church in later years.

Flonine Miller has provided the Sunday school roll for 1926, listing Mrs. J. J. Vardeman as teacher. Those known to have attended the Methodist Church through the twenty-five years it existed were: Mrs. J. J. Vardeman, Minnie and Jerry, Mn. and Mrs. W. T. Roper, Mn. and Mrs. Joe Roper, Mr. and Mrs. D. F. Burns, Mn. and Mrs. David Lindeman, the J. A. Harris family, the Manly Miller family, the John Chandler family, the Stamnes family, the Jim A. Watkins family, Mrs. Jean Miller, Ovie Owens Whitfield, and Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Larance and family.

Brown Ranch Methodist Church

Churches Index
Coleman County Index
Use the Search Engine to search the Coleman County website.