Grier McLaughlin Gray was born October 4,
1849, in Monroe County, which
is now West Virginia, son of Andrew Wiley Gray
and Mary Jane Patton. Andrew
Confederate Forces at the outbreak of the
Civil War and was killed in the
Battle of “Poison Springs,” Arkansas, in 1865.
He was a Mason and was buried
with Masonic honors. Mary Jane (Patton) Gray
died August 14, 1859, when Grier
was ten years old. Grier had two
brothers, Tristan A. and Rankin A. and a
sister, Margaret Ann.
Grier left Virginia in 1866 on foot the day he
was seventeen years old
for Dallas County. He walked most of the way.
Finding work here and there to
support himself, he arrived in Dallas County
in the late sixties. A short time
after his arrival, he met Mary Matilda, born
July 15, 1850 in Georgia, North
Carolina, the daughter of Silas (October 16,
1821-June 19, 1910) and Vianna
(Curtis) Ledford (November 7, 1823-1898), one
of ten children. Grier and Mary
were married November 27, 1872 in Dallas
The Grays joined their forces
and resources with Andy Young; they came to
Coleman County, October 4, 1873,
and settled on Pecan Bayou. Grier worked for
Mr. Young as a cowhand at twenty
dollars a month, and he was to run his cattle
with those of Mr. Young’s. They
were to share their meals as members of the
Young family. As soon as they could
get to it they built for Grier and his wife
another log room with fireplace and
loft, connecting it with the Young’s
passageway. This was for saftey, as well
as companionship for the two women. When it
became necessary to own and fence
the range, they bought and fenced until they
owned over 7,000 acres of fine
land. They built a four room house and hauled
furniture from Baird.
The Groves were God’s first Temple in those
days; circuit riding
preachers, would come and hold an all day
meeting under the trees and everybody
would come with well filled baskets, and they
would worshiped God together. There
were few schools in the country at the time
the two families moved to this
country, and there was still some fear of
Indian raids. Mr. Gray and Mr. Young
took part in many buffalo drives. Mrs. Young
and Mrs. Gray were the only women
for miles around, on one occasion they lived
together for over a year without
seeing another woman.
Mr. and Mrs. Grier Gray had three children:
Walter Andrew, August 14, 1877 in Coleman
County-1942, married Josephine
Carrington from Marquez (February 19,
1881-1975). They had two children:
Ella, born Novmeber 1, 1901, married Frank
Taylor (see James Frank Taylor).
Mabel, February 22, 1905-February 26, 1966.
Walter Gray had the first car in
Coleman and also the first car agency. He
was a partner in the Gray-Gordon Store
(2) Myrtle Valentine, February 14, 1882-May 5,
1969, married James
W. Woodward, August 50, 1900, 1887 in Cass
County-October 15, 1933. His parents
were Samuel Parker and Martha Ann (White)
Woodward, stepmother to Judge J. O.
Woodward (see Woodward). James and Myrtle had
Ima Gray, born
September 7, 1901, married Pat Ray Warren
(see John B. Warren).
5, 1904, married Langdon Powers Sawyer (Don)
from Kansas City, Missouri, on
March 14, 1926. Born to them was one son,
Donald Gregg, April 9, 1927, married
Stella Galindo from Bogota, Columbia, South
America, on September 15, 1952.
Born to them were Donna, William Gregg,
Susana and Patricia, all born in South
(3) Charles Clyde, November 26,
1886-December 26, 1955), married Callie
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Cowan
Born to them were:
born May 5, 1910, married
Ulma Dagley. Born to them were Peggy Sue,
Carolyn, and Dolores Jean.
(3b) Marie, September 29, 1912,
married Joe Golden
and their children were Joe Gray,
Ronnie Charles, Robert Taylor and Billy Mac.
William Grier, December 8, 1915-October 9,
Dorothy Virginia, August 7, 1918, married
and their children were Charles C. and Judy
One day in the late 1890’s, Grier came to
Coleman City and told Mr.
Allday, a reputable carpenter, he wanted him
to build a house for Mary and the
children and, “here is my checkbook.” Honesty
was a way of life in those days.
He owned a large tract of land in the
southwest part of Coleman, where he
wanted the house built, now 601 W. Walnut.
This was among the first homes to
have electricity. The house was finished in
1898. The entire construction was
built and trimmed by hand on the outside and
inside, the stairway was a work of
art. It was beautifully furnished in the best
of taste solid wood furniture,
cherry wood with satin tufted sofas, chairs,
tables, Victorian glass and wood
cabinets, lace panel curtains, beautiful
carpets, cranberry glass chandaliers.
The outside was painted yellow with green trim
and the roof was red. It was a
lovely Victor an style house, although Mary
and Grier always considered the
Gray Ranch their home.
Grier Gray was an early (1884) commissioner of
Precinct 4. The Gray
family became well known, too, for the oil and
gas interests they owned, wells
having been drilled on the Gray Ranch, for who
the sand is named.
There were no deaths in their family until
Mary died January 51, 1939.
Grier followed her in death soon after on
October 19, 1939, both buried in
(Images to be added)
Mary, G.M., Myrtle and
Walter [rear] Gray
Mary Ella Gray
home in Coleman