|Laroy Hunton Griffith, born December 4, 1887, was the son of Alonzo
Delos Griffith and Susan Emily Hunton. He was born in the historic
home, The Mackey House, now known as Twelve Oaks, in Salado (see A.D. Griffith).
L. H. Griffith came to Coleman County with his father in 1906.
In 1910, J. F. Thweatt bought land from the B. A. Smith and John Donaho
Surveys and homesteaded just north of Gouldbusk. There was a daughter
of the Thweatts whose name was Effie Elizabeth. She was “courted”
by secret signals given by the Griffith’s cotton gin whistle. On
December 16, 1913, Effie Elizabeth and Laroy Hunton were married and bought
land now known as the Terrell Place, just across Bull Creek from his father
L. H. “Roy” found that he did not like farming. He and his cousin,
Lonnie Smith, worked at different jobs, driving trucks, etc. In 1918,
Roy came home to go to fight for his country, but Armistice was declared
before he could leave. He went to work for Clyde Edens in the Edens
Mercantile Company in Gouldbusk until it burned in 1925. Clyde Edens
bought out Stevens Hardware in Coleman, and asked Roy, or Pearl, as he
was affectionally called, to work for him, which he did until Clyde and
Pearl returned as partners in the General Merchandise Company in Gouldbusk.
The Griffiths became sole owners of the General Merchandise Store in 1928.
They operated the store for over 40 years. During the depression,
there were many ups and downs. It was difficult to keep the store
running on a financial level, especially when so many customers were given
Pearl knew the store would be run well by his wife and his brother-in-law,
Roy Thweatt, so he undertook many other projects for the benefit of his
community. He became the unofficial mayor of the town. He was
a member of the Fraternal Order of the Woodmen of the World and the International
Order of Odd Fellows. At the age of 19, he was one of the youngest
Noble Grand Commanders. In 1928, he was secretary and treasurer of
the Coleman County Chamber of Commerce; was rain and weather reporter for
the Lower Colorado River Authority, until his death; sparked several work
projects of the community, such as the building of the Gouldbusk Lake;
operated the water system for many years; and helped initiate the REA program
for Coleman County.
Two daughters were born to “Mr. Pearl and Miss Effie.” Mary Love,
born November 14, 1914, and Emma Nell, December 17, 1916. Mary Love
married Fabrian A. Griffin, September 6, 1940. She was a school teacher
whose first school was in the Hardin community. They had two sons,
Tommy Griffith, September 9, 1943, and Larry Wayne, July 31, 1945.
Emma Nell married Glyn Downey, October 6, 1940 (see Glyn O. Downey).
Pearl Griffith died November 16, 1973, buried in Gouldbusk.
(Image to be added)
50th Wedding Anniversary, December 13, 1963 of Mr. and Mrs. L. H.
Griffith - Glyn O., Don L., Beth F., and Emma
N. "Sing" Downey, Effie [Thweat] Griffith, Laroy H. "Pearl" Griffith,
Fabe A., Larry W., Tommy G., and Mary