|Watt H. Hamnionds and Agnes Cornelius Phelps were married in Clark
County, Arkansas, August 18, 1901. He was born in Clark County, February
18, 1881; she was born near Farmersville, Louisiana, July 8, 1884.
They had 10 children: Jessie Leroy, Carl Willis, Elmer James, Joe Ted,
Mary Nellie, Daisy Estelle, Esther Pauline, Martha Lucille, Syble Viola,
and Eugene Ralph. Eugene Ralph lived only four months. They
were all born in Clark County, Arkansas. Due to the depression, the
entire family, except the two oldest boys, moved to Texas in 1933.
The two oldest lived their lives out in Clark County, Arkansas.
Watt and Aggie and the seven children lived in Coleman County for only
a few weeks, then moved to Slaton where they lived until the fall of 1935,
then moved back to Coleman County. Watt had no middle name, so when
government records became more prevalent, it was insisted that he have
a middle name or initial for the records. It was then that he added
the middle initial, “H.” Watt raised turkeys, worked for day wages
and was often in poor health. They lived north of Santa Anna, then
moved northeast of Echo on the R. T. Watson place until they moved into
Coleman; into a house on Lackland Street owned by John and Esther Terry
in 1945. Watt and Aggie lived in Coleman until their deaths.
He died February 13, 1947, in the Sealy Hospital, in Santa Anna.
Aggie was well-known for her quilt tops and quilts ... many of them are
still in use by Coleman County families. She died September 16, 1970,
at Leisure Lodge Nursing Home where she had made her home the last few
years of her life. The children who came to Texas were:
(1) Elmer, born February 8, 1907, was a carpenter. He married
Effie Simmons, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Simmons in 1941 in Santa Anna.
They had one child, Gary James, born in 1946 at the Sealy Hospital in Santa
Anna. They lived in Santa Anna until 1947, when they moved to Fort
Worth. Effie passed away in 1960, Elmer in 1982, both buried at Kennedale.
Gary and his wife, Charlotte, live near Mansfield and have two children,
Melanie and Barry.
(2) Joe, born June 28, 1909, married (1st) Alma Ferguson in Slaton.
They moved back with the rest of the Hammonds family to Coleman County
in 1935. Patsy was born February 6, 1936 in Santa Anna, Betty Jo,
born north of Santa Anna, November 23, 1937. They moved to California
in the early 1940’s. Joe and Alma divorced while in California.
Joe and the girls moved back to Coleman County in 1945, when he went to
work for Safeway in the meat market. Joe married (2nd) Leta Mae (Eddy)
Squyres June 15, 1948. Her first husband was J. T. Squyres, son of
Mr. and Mrs. S. S. Squyres of Coleman County. Their children were
Glynn, Lloyd, and Betty Lee. They adopted the Hammonds name after
Joe and Leta married. Joe began working for M-System Food Store in
1951. All of the children went to school and graduated from Coleman
High School. Patsy married Del Ray Stacy February 20, 1954, son of
Mr. and Mrs. Walter Stacy of Trickham (see Walter Stacy). After their
marriage they moved to Abilene, then later to California, where Del Ray
worked for Rockwell Insulation Company. Patsy became a registered
nurse. They moved back to Coleman County, Trickham, about 1973, and
built a large house on a hill overlooking the community of Trickham and
had a cattle operation until about 1976, moving back to California.
Joe managed Patsy and Del’s ranch until they sold out in 1978; Joe having
retired from M-System in the late l960’s. Patsy and Del now live
in Arizona. Their children are Charm, Tommy, and David. All
three went to school at Santa Anna, Charm and Tommy graduating there.
Joe and Leta now live in Brownwood. Joe and Leta adopted Brenda Elaine
Hammonds, born March 23, 1960. She grew up at Coleman and Trickham,
graduating from Santa Anna High School, married Brad Wilkinson, son of
Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Wilkinson of Coleman in 1978 (see Arthur Wilkinson).
(3) Mary, born January 24, 1912, stayed in Slaton, where she married
A. C. Lowrie. They later moved to Abilene where she still lives.
Their children are Katherine, Lynn, and Tommy.
(4) Daisy, born December 29, 1914, married Cecil Hamlett, son of Mr.
and Mrs. Bob Hamlett of Coleman County about 1938. Their children
were Dorothy, born at Hawley; Reba, born at Coleman; Glenda, born at Coleman;
and J. C., born at Pecos. They left Coleman County in the late l940’s,
settling at Van Horn, divorcing shortly after. Cecil now lives in
Brownwood and Daisy at Rusk, near her daughter, Reba.
(5) Esther, born September 27, 1917, married John Terry in 1940 (see
(6) Martha, born March 29, 1920, went to school at Buffalo, graduating
from there about 1938. After graduation, she moved to Slaton and
lived with her sister, Mary Lowrie, where she met M. F. Martin, whom she
married in August 1940. They moved to Fort Worth shortly after.
They had four children, Linda, Carol, Michael, and Kay. M. F. and
his brother own Martin and Martin Drilling Co., a major pier-hole driller
in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana. They still reside in Fort Worth.
(7) Syble, born December 22, 1923, went to school and graduated from
Buffalo in 1942. She married James Gibson in 1946, the brother of
Mrs. Henry Beall of Coleman. They moved to Waco, where he recently
retired from Firestone Rubber Company after 30 years service. They
have two boys, Ronnie and Ray.
(Images to be added)
Aggie and Watt Hammonds
The Hammonds Children
Mary, Esther, Martha, Daisy, Elmer, Syble, Joe, Jesse, and Carl