|In 1877, H. O. V. Humble, known as Van Humble moved from East Texas
and established a homestead bordering the Colorado River in Coleman County.
He was twenty five years of age at that time. For fifteen years his
principle occupation was catching, breaking to saddle and selling wild
horses, know as Mustangs, and buying more land. In 1892 he met and
fell in love with Clauda Smith, daughter of Matt and Emma Smith who owned
a cattle ranch just across the river. They married February 1, 1893
(see Matthew Claiborne Smith). Van stopped hunting wild horses and
became a farmer and rancher. He constructed a nice home to bring
his bride to. To this union and in this home twelve children were
born; six boys and six girls:
(1) Charlie Albert, November 19, 1893 - May 17, 1969.
He had two boys.
In 1918 the Humble family, with the exception of the two oldest boys, Charlie
and Roy, made a trip to Arizona. They had thought they might settle
there, but did not like the climate. They returned to Coleman County
by covered wagon. Because of ill health Van was no longer able to
care for the farm. In 1923, they sold the farm and moved to Ballinger,
where Van and Clauda spent the rest of their lives, both buried in Ballinger.
The five living are Roy L. in Canyon County, California, Sarah H. Walshack
in Magnolia, Nettie H. Burk in Phoenix, Arizona, Stafford L. in El Paso,
and Houston in Glendale, Arizona.
(2) Roy Leonard, July 21, 1895, married Ethel Butler, June 30, 1917.
They had three girls and one boy; had twin girls.
(3) Orlander Stirman, August 9, 1897, died in 1975, had two girls and
three boys. He married Rose P. October 16, 1918.
(4) Gracie, February 5, 1899 - November 19, 1918 in Phoenix, Arizona.
(5) Elizabeth, September 15, 1901, deceased, married John Blackstone,
January 1, 1921, had three girls and two boys.
(6) Zella, May 24, 1903, deceased, married Edgar Leddy, July 30, 1924,
had two girls and one boy.
(7) Sarah, August 16, 190S, married Leo Walshak, January 21, 1923, had
two girls and four boys.
(8) Vertie, June 1, 1907, married George Dankworth, June 1, 1923, had
four boys and six girls. Vertie died June 1, 1961; had twin girls.
(9) Nettie, January 28, 1909, married Dewey Burk, four girls and one
boy, who died soon after birth.
(10) Stafford Lewis, August 25, 1912, married Jewell Sanders, July 27,
1935, had one girl and one boy. Two boys died. They have twin
(11) Sam Houston, August 17, 1914, married Aline Williams, January 23,
1933, had one boy and two girls. They have twenty four descendants.
(12) Howard Otis Van Humble, February 27, 1917 - May 1, 1975, married
Vera Sanders, July 22, 1938, had three girls and one boy.
(Image to be added)
Charley Humble, Roy Humble, Orlander Humble, Dewey Burk, Leo Walshack,
George Dankworth, Stafford Humble, Houston Humble, Howard Humble. (Seated)
Maggie, Ethel, Rose Humble, Nellie (Humble) Burk, Sarah (Humble) Walshack,
Lizzie (Humble) Blackstone, Mother Clauda Humble, Zella (Humble) Leddy,
Vertie (Humble) Dankworth, Jewell, Aline, Vera Humble.