|Emmett Clarence Jameson was born August 16, 1882, in Coleman County,
about four miles west of Coleman, in a log cabin dug-out (see James Allen
Jameson). His parents had bought a ranch in the south part of Taylor
County, near Oplin. Emmett was batching there and caring for the
ranch when he met Lettie Eudora Davis, born October 6, 1881 at Mt. Calm,
in Hill County, the daughter of B. M. and Laura (Rogers) Davis. Emmett
and Lettie were married in a small Methodist Church, December 20, 1903,
known as the Jim Ned Methodist Church, also known as the Rogers Church,
in Taylor County. Emmett, Lettie and the first four children moved
to Coleman the latter part of 1911, then on to the Indian Creek community,
joining the J. A. Jameson farm and across the field from Indian Creek School.
Their children are:
(1) Jewel Odell, born December 24, 1904, the first grandchild
of the Jamesons and Davises, graduated from Coleman High School in 1922.
She attended Howard Payne College in Brownwood, where she met William Clyde
Miller, born November 11, 1901. They married in Coleman, May 29,
1927. Before marriage, Jewell taught school two years at Indian Creek
School and two years at Bowen School. Their children are: Damon J.,
October 6, 1932 and Lois Elaine, July 15, 1937.
Robert and Roy were identical twins. Their mother wrapped one in
a blue blanket and the other in a pink blanket as identification.
One time, Roy got some chewing gum in his hair on the back of his head.
His mother clipped it out with scissors, leaving a bare spot. She
kept it clipped for a long time to make sure no mistake was made!
Having twin brothers four years older than she made life very exciting,
and sometimes miserable for Ruth. One day her mother heard her screaming.
When she reached her she found that the twins had nailed her dress skirt
to the floor. Oleta, along with Jewell, Bill, Ethel and Pearle attended
Indian Creek School for some of their elementary education. Jewell,
William (Bill) and Ethel went to Coleman West Ward for a few years.
They went in a two-wheel cart drawn by a gentle bay horse called Shorty.
One afternoon a cold norther and snow storm blew in. The three wrapped
up the best they could and headed for home. Friends of the family,
Will Woods and Mrs. Mary Morgan Woods lived in the north edge of Coleman.
They were watching for the Jameson “kids” and stopped the cart, wrapped
all three down in the cart with blankets, covering them completely.
Mr. Woods tied the reins securely and gave Shorty a tap on the rear, heading
him toward the cold norther and snow for home five miles away. Shorty
took them over the Hords Creek bridge (an old iron bridge with overhead
iron braces) and through Indian Creek and on home. He stopped just
short of the back porch, where Emmett and Lettie were anxiously waiting.
They brushed the snow off the blankets and uncovered the children.
All were snug as could be, and, of course, Ethel, the youngest, was sound
asleep. Shorty had extra special care that evening and a very sincere
thanks was sent to the Woods.
(2) William Allen (Bill), born February 18, 1907 on the ranch, attended
Coleman schools, left Coleman when he was about 18 years old and lived
in Arizona until his death May 30, 1982, in Bisbee, Arizona. He married
Lorraine Beyer, September 27, 1940, born June 13, 1910 in Bisbee, died
April 15, 1983 in Bisbee.
(3) Ethel Marie, born January 1, 1909 on the ranch, attended Coleman
High School, graduating in 1927; the first graduating class in the new
building. She attended Texas Tech College in 1929/1930. She
taught school at Concho Peak six years. In the fall of 1931, Charlie
James Gordon and Tom Hunt from Kennedy, came to Coleman County to buy cotton.
They roomed and boarded in the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Cox in Gouldbusk.
Ethel taught school just a few miles from Gouldbusk. It was there
at church that she met Charlie J. Gordon, born in Sweet Home in Lavaca
County to Albert and Lenora Gordon. They were married in 1936.
Ethel and Charlie lived in the very small town of Zunkerville, near Kennedy,
one year then moved to Coleman in 1937 and have lived there ever since.
Charlie volunteered into the Army Air Force 8th Command and was discharged
in the fall of 1945. After returning to Coleman he was a self employed
car and boat dealer until he retired in 1973. They are members of
the First United Methodist Church in Coleman.
(4) Laura Pearle, born August 12, 1911, on the ranch of her great grandfather
Rogers, near the Jameson Ranch, where her family had moved, married Cecil
Edgar Horne, the son of David Edgar Horne and Mary Gertrude Evans (see
James David Horne).
(5) Oleta Jane, born August 2, 1916, married September 1, 1941 in Coleman,
Clarence Carl Elliott, born July 18, 1914 in Russell, Iowa, son of James
Milton Elliott and Lucretia McKinley. Carl passed away March 15,
1978 in Dallas. He served during WWII, from March 1942 until October
20, 1945, in training, and as a Pharmacist 1st class, Medical Corp, U.S.
Navy, in the South Pacific. To them were born: James Roy, December
15, 1943 in Coleman, and Carla Jane, September 1, 1956 in Dallas.
(6) Roy Emmett, a twin, born February 10, 1918 in Indian Creek, was
killed in a plane crash at Wheeler Field. T. H. Roy was the proud
possessor of the Air Medal, which had been presented to him by his commanding
general for taking part in the Christmas Eve Raid on Wake Island.
S. Sgt. Roy Jameson was a tail-gunner on a B-17 Bomber.
(7) Robert Carey, a twin, born February 10, 1918 in Indian Creek (see
Robert C. Jameson).
(8) Ruth Eleene, was born January 2, 1922 (see Luther Doyle Glasson).
Emmett was active in all phases of city and county affairs and served
as County Commissioner for several years in Precinct 1. Lettie was
very active in all areas of her church, First Methodist of Coleman.
She was on her way to her circle meeting at the church when she passed
away May 10, 1945. She was to have given the program for the circle
(Images to be added)
Roy Emmett and Robert Carey Jameson, born February 10, 1918
Emmett C. and Lettie Jameson, about 1944