|In March 1921, a group of eligible potential candidates of Coleman
met at the Coleman county court house for the purpose of forming an embryo
organization, preliminary to making application for a charter that they
might become a unit of the Ladies Auxiliary of the American Legion to be
identified with the Ray Post, No. 213 of Coleman.
The prerequisite of making application for a charter necessitated the
meeting of a body of eligible applicants and the opening of a presiding
officer in the capacity of acting president. It was necessary that
the application be signed by an acting president and accompanied by the
signatures of ten intentional members. There were fifteen signatures
obtained at that meeting, who signed the application along with Mrs. John
Henderson, who was appointed acting president. It was also signed
by L. S. White, post commander, and J. F. Henderson, Jr., post adjutant.
An answer to this application was received in May 1921.
The Auxiliary functioned for one year on the approved or temporary
charter. Then, on June 1, 1922, they received their regular charter.
The board of officers serving as charter officers when the application
was made, all of Coleman; Mrs. R. V. Wood, president; Mrs. H. D.
Sadler, vice-president; Mrs. Nannie Love, secretary; Mrs. Lucion
White, treasurer; Mrs. T. W. White, hospital chairman, and Mrs. H.
A. Robertson, Americanization chairman.
The present board of officers is made up of : Mrs. H.A. Robertson, president;
Mrs. Lucion White, vice-president; Mrs. H. B. Wilson, secretary;
Mrs. Rushing Wells, treasurer; Mrs. R. V. Wood, historian; and Mrs. John
Henderson and Mrs. Hugh Lewis form the executive committee.
This unit has met every demand levied upon it, both state and local.
There is much good accomplished by the body and especially in behalf of
ex-service menís dependents. There are about seven of the charter
members still living.