|On the first Saturday night in January 1899, a group of Coleman people
met at the home of Mr. And Mrs. J. O. Spath and organized a literary society
to be known as the “Coleman Reading Club.” Officers elected at that
time were: J. S. McGee, superintendent of schools, president;
Mrs. C. J. Dibrell, vice president; Miss Mattie Zively, secretary.
Committees: On the membership committee, Mrs. J. S. McGee, Miss
Cordie Davis and Miss Winnie Ledbetter; Course of Study, Mrs. C. J. Dibrell,
Miss Bessie Bishop, Miss Mattie Zively.
The club met every Saturday night in the home of some of the members.
Their course of study was American Poets and scientific articles from leading
magazines and current events.
The membership of Coleman’s first literary society was comprised by
the following: Mr. And Mrs. J. P. Ledbetter, Mr. And Mrs. R. V. Wood,
Mr. And Mrs. Frank Snodgrass, Mr. And Mrs. J. O. Spath, Mr. and Mrs. J.
S. McGee, Mr. And Mrs. J. E. McCord and Mr. And Mrs. C. J. Dibrell, Sr.,
and Misses Winnie Ledbetter, Nannie Grennan, Florence Dibrell, Zula Rogers,
Della Larche, Cordie Davis, Bessie Bishop, Mattie Zively and Tom McCord,
Press McCord, E. M. Jones and Jess Ratliff.