UDC Chapter Was Organized Here In January 1903
In January 1903, Mrs. W. R. McClellan and Mrs. J. M. Bailey organized
the first chapter of United Daughters of the Confederacy. The first
board of officers consisted of Mrs. J. E. McCord, president; Mrs.
J. M. Bailey, vice president; and Mrs. J. P. Ledbetter, historian.
The original organization was comprised of 25 members. They held
regular meetings over a period of five years but did not obtain a charter.
At the time of its organization there were 105 chapters in the state with
a membership enrollment of 5995.
The Lee Jackson Chapter of the U. D. C. was organized by Mrs. Mary Hunt
Affleck at the home of Mrs. B. F. Robey in January 1911. This board
of officers consisted of the following: Mrs. J. P. Ledbetter, president;
Mrs. R. V. Wood, vice president; Mrs. B. F. Robey, secretary; Mrs.
Omi Heaton, treasury; Mrs. T. J. White, registrar; and Mrs.
T. W. Martin, historian.
The charter members besides the above mentioned included Mesdames J.
F. Gordon, Julia Polk, J. F. Henderson, Higginbotham, D. Toland, R. L.
Dunman, Crawford Jackson, R. Bennet, F. L. Snodgrass, R. G. Hollingsworth,
E. B. Martin, O. Johnson, Hugh Knox, B. Martin and Miss Nelle Clary.